Monday, March 22, 2010

Day 3 at Little Kwara (Part 1)

The next morning we woke up early again and hit the road around 6:30am.  It was lion searching time!  We drove around for about an hour and a half or so without seeing a single animal.  Not one.  I didn't mind though...the scenery was beautiful, and I was listening to my "lion huntin' music"- The Lion King's "Be Prepared."  I just sat there with a silly grin on my face the entire time.  After a while, I was starting to get a little discouraged...if I wasn't going to see lions, I at least wanted to see something cool.  All of a sudden we turned a corner and it appeared we entered paradise.  There was a clearing, and we came upon hippos, an elephant, giraffes and zebras.  All together, just enjoying the day.  It was beautiful.  We parked our truck next to the watering hole with the two hippos in it.

The giraffe was eating, obviously :)

All of a sudden we turn around, and I feel like I am in the Jungle Book...a herd of elephants start marching our way from a distance:

They were marching in a line!  It was so cute.
And then they were upon us.  

At this point, Steve realizes that they want to wash off at the watering hole we were blocking, and decides we better get out of there.  What happens?  We get stuck in the marsh.  So, we have 2 weary hippos in the water on one side, and about 7 elephants on the other and we can't move an inch.  Steve and KB get out to go look for some logs, but unfortunately there weren't any in the area.  We have to call another safari group to come bring us some logs, but we had to wait there for about 45 minutes.  It was a little nerve-wracking.  Steve was joking about how "dangerous" it was and was trying to laugh it off, but we noticed he kept looking behind his shoulder at the hippos, and I heard him mutter under his breath "I can't believe that we got stuck here."
Rog and I got a little bored and took some pictures.  Here's one with our French friend, Roger!

In the next picture, he's making faces in the background...if Rog and I looked semi decent in that picture, I would have posted it, but it wasn't flattering for either of us :)
Here comes our rescue!

We made it out, and were on our way!  Oh, one thing I haven't mentioned...Roger and I both had a terrible stomach bug while we were at Little Kwara- the entire time.  At this point while we were stuck, I felt so sick that I didn't know what to do.  We weren't allowed to leave the truck (on account of the hippos that were 20 feet away), and plus, there was nowhere to go for privacy.  It was a pretty miserable time.  I basically just prayed for comfort, and thankfully, the Lord answered my prayer and I was able to enjoy the rest of the day.

This is the end of part 1 of day 3.  I'll write more later!

No comments:

Post a Comment