Wednesday, September 23, 2009

It's Not Thursday Yet??

I'm telling ya'll, every day here is so jam packed with activity that every day feels like 2 days. On the one hand, we feel like we've been here for a couple of months, but on the other hand we can't believe we have been here for over 3 weeks already. It's weird. It really does feel like it's Thursday, though, and it's throwing a bunch of us off.

Today was another good day. I didn't get much sleep last night, so I had kind of a short fuse when I was working with the little kids, but they didn't seem to notice. I really was so happy to be back with the young kids. However, I wasn't thrilled that I couldn't take 2 steps without getting jumped by 6 kids all wanting to hug me, leaving the ones who couldn't reach me in tears. I love getting love from these kids, but a girl needs to be able to walk from one side of the room to the other! We had a lot of fun on the playground today- no huge fights over waiting in line for the swing! Progress!!

Also such a blast? We went swimming :) I was able to help teach 25 3-6 year olds how to swim. In Maun, Botswana. Sometimes I still can't believe that I am really doing this. What a blessing to be out here!!

After my morning placement, we went to the local (brand new) hospital to do ministry with the children in pediatrics. That was an interesting experience...many of the moms didn't speak much English, and most of the kids were between 5 months and 3 years old. We brought a bunch of stickers for the kids, and the moms were thrilled; they were so happy to put them on their babies' heads and their own arms. It was cute. I had a great chat with the mother of a 5-month old who was in to get surgery for a growth in his leg. Also saw a 6 month old with a broken arm. Such a sad sight, but these babies were so happy and wouldn't stop smiling and giggling. I was really glad that 5 month old didn't have any teethe yet, because he kept grabbing my finger, stuffing it in his mouth and chomping down. That could have hurt! I am looking forward to continuing this ministry- we're going to go every week from now on. Hopefully I wont have many more experiences of hearing children scream in agony; that was heartbreaking.

After that, we had a photography class with Matt (the Children's Pastor who is v passionate about this). We're going to have quite a few classes with him, so hopefully my pictures will get better and better each week :)

Tonight I went out for pizza and ice cream with Jacob. Talk about a treat...that was amazing. Now me the roomies and I are all enjoying a night off and just chilling on our computers. It's been a great day. I don't have a clue what tomorrow will bring- I don't even know yet where I am going for my morning placement. I hope to hear something on that within the hour...

Anyway, that's all for today! Hope you're all doing well. Please shoot me a note from time to time. It's wonderful to hear from people back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment