Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Internship Thus Far

Dumela!  The interns have now been here a few days, and are starting to get acclimated with the area.  I am really enjoying working with these women, and I am so glad that I am able to be leading them while they go through an experience I adored so much.  I must say, though- it's difficult to be the only person leading this!

I can't push the girls nearly as hard as the Witt's pushed us; when Sarah was working with us, Kevin was preparing the next thing.  When Kevin was working with us, Sarah was getting things ready for the events later in the day.  There just isn't enough of me to go around, so I am finding that I HAVE to give these girls free time, just because when something comes up, I have to take care of it.  My days are quite long (which is just fine- I don't mind at all), but it's because sometimes I can only work on stuff when they are on their lunch break or done for the day.  The only reason that I have even taken time to eat dinner the last couple of days is because I have been cooking for the gals :)

I really am loving this though.  They are a great group; I think that this will be a wonderful experience for them, and I think that LBOM is blessed to have them.  I am a little jealous that they get to be experiencing everything for the first time.  I showed them all around town today, and it reminded me of what it was like when Kevin brought us around back in September.  Seeing everything for the first time; experiencing culture shock...I miss that!  Sure, it's great to know your way around and to have developed relationships with people, but it's such a great thing to see it all with new eyes.

It's a good thing that "flexible" is my middle name.  Some of the missionaries here have agreed to do specific lessons and teachings with the interns, only to be unable to fulfill that commitment at the last minute.  That happened a couple of times today, totally throwing things for the entire week off schedule.  No biggie, I can improvise!  I just had to fight off some desires I had to grumble under my breath as I walked away, trying desperately to figure out something to fill their time RIGHT AT THAT MOMENT.  Thankfully, we still had a productive and enjoyable day!

The girls are learning to drive stick shift tomorrow, so they're all excited about that; that should be entertaining!  Pray that they don't ruin the Stallion :)

No comments:

Post a Comment