Monday, January 18, 2010

They Arrived!

All 6 interns made it to Botswana safely, arriving in Maun at 12:10pm on Saturday.  They seem like a wonderful group of ladies, and I am really looking forward to their time here.  We have been staying pretty busy, so I haven't had time to update this since they've been here.  Here's the low-down on what we've done since Saturday:

  • Picked them up from the airport and took them to lunch at the French Connection with the Lackey family
  • Got them settled at the house; went over house rules, showed them where everything is, got them connected to the internet, etc.
  • Cooked dinner for them and had them over at my house for the evening
  • Sunday morning, introduced them at church
  • Sunday afternoon had some one-on-one time with one of the interns
  • Played games throughout the afternoon
  • Administered personality and spiritual giftings test
  • Graded the personality tests (you fail! you have no personality)
  • Cooked dinner for them and had them over for the evening
  • Went over passport dates and paperwork
  • Gave them a tour of the mission
  • Led some team building activities
  • Tried to grade spiritual giftings test, only to realize that the software isn't compatible with my computer. Guess what I get to do over my lunch break?
So, all in all...staying busy.  I also injured by back yesterday when I was bending down to pick something up off the floor.  One of the missionaries gave me some muscle relaxers (after nothing else worked), and I ended up conking out around 7:30pm.  In fact, I had to send the girls home when I caught myself talking to them with my head resting on the counter.  Needless to say, I slept great last night!

Oh, some other random fun stuff that has been going on around here...today is the first day of school, so when I was leading the tour, I got to see many of the kids from reception and standard 1.  Some of them were pretty shy, but others came running at me, jumping up for hugs.  Love.
At church yesterday, I was in the service for the first time in a while (I've been working in children's church for the past month or so).  After church, I was walking through the tent and was bombarded with hugs from kids that had been looking for me all morning.  Makes a girl feel special :)

I am about to head over to the offices to score the girls' tests, then have an afternoon full of orientation activities.

I'll have pictures of the girls up soon!  

No comments:

Post a Comment